As Israel defends itself against Hezbollah in Lebanon including it's sponsors Syria and Iran we should take note that the U.N. attempted to slap Israel with a U.N. resolution demanding the end to it's attack on the terrorist group. Wisely, the U.S. vetoed this unconscionable attempt from the anti-Israel forces on the Security Council.
U.N. Security Council resolution 1559 was issued on September 2, 2004 and demand, without naming names of course, that groups like Hezbollah disarm. The weakness and gutless resolution does not use the word terrorist or Hezbollah so they don't offend anyone. Here is how the U.N. security council handles groups who kill innocent civilians, cross borders and kidnap citizens of other countries.
1. Reaffirms its call for the strict respect of the sovereignty, territorial integrity, unity, and political independence of Lebanon under the sole and exclusive authority of the Government of Lebanon throughout Lebanon;
2. Calls upon all remaining foreign forces to withdraw from Lebanon;
3. Calls for the disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non- Lebanese militias;
4. Supports the extension of the control of the Government of Lebanon overall Lebanese territory;
5. Declares its support for a free and fair electoral process in Lebanon’s upcoming presidential election conducted according to Lebanese constitutional rules devised without foreign interference or influence;
6. Calls upon all parties concerned to cooperate fully and urgently with the Security Council for the full implementation of this and all relevant resolutions concerning the restoration of the territorial integrity, full sovereignty, and political independence of Lebanon;
7. Requests that the Secretary-General report to the Security Council within thirty days on the implementation by the parties of this resolution and decides to remain actively seized of the matter.
Kofi-Annan once again has failed to do his job. Annan responds to Israel self-defense proclaiming the Middle East is in "a grave situation." Maybe, but someone has to enforce Security Council Resolution 1559. So in the process of defending it's people and borders, Israel is doing Kofi-Annan's job, something he has never done.
We must say, the Bush Administration has failed to place sanctions and conditions with severe consequences on Syria in the past. It is now up to Israel to do the heavy lifting of the world and devour the terrorist ilk everyone else wishes to ignore.
Diplomacy is not the answer. Israel's enemies have publicly proclaimed it's wishes to "wipe Israel from the fact of the earth." That is the goal of Hamas, Hezbollah, and Syria all sanctioned by Iran.
The more "disportionate" the bombing by Israel, the faster the terrorists will be killed and Resolution 1559 will be enforced.