Lincoln Chaffey - Republican in Liberal Clothing
- Voted against an extension of the Bush tax cuts.
- Voted against a repeal of the estate (death) tax.
- Voted against budget reform.
- Voted against Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito.
- Protested against a partial-birth abortion ban.
- Opposed school choice.
Mr. Laffey has a different view and is a fiscal conservative:
- Supports marginal tax rate cuts.
- Supports permanent repeal of dividend and capital gain cuts.
- Supports President Bush on the war in Iraq.
- Supports school choice.
- Supports free trade and is against trade isolationism.
- Supports immigration enforcement.
There may be a glimmer of hope if Laffey wins the Republican nomination. Laffey won the mayoral contest in Cranston where only 14% of voters constitute Republicans. He did raise taxes but turned a nearly bankrupt city around to more fiscal responsibility.
Laffey won his first election (2002) with 52% of the votes and increased his victory margin (2004) with 65% of the votes. If Laffey can get his message out statewide, maybe voters will consider results over party affiliation.
First Republicans will have to vote responsibly and turn Lincoln Chaffee out of office.