Liberals Wish List - Playing Robin Hood
- Technology is increasing employers' need for some skilled workers, while diminishing it for assembly-line workers.
- Schools aren't graduating enough of the workers in short supply, such as engineers, which creates a greater need for outsourcing.
Taking from the rich and give to the poor does not balance the playing field. Forcing business to pay higher wages for unskilled labor may cost jobs before it provides income to the worker on the low end of the pay scale. Employers may decide to trim their payroll or pass the cost on to consumers. Someone must pay for this form of government tariff on domestic business.
In the Democrats playbook, "A new social contract for the 21st century" the authors Bruce Reed and Rahm Emanuel suggest requiring companies that provide stock options to their executives to provide stock options to every worker. The operative word here is "require" as in government regulation.
Liberals don't want a fence to stop illegal immigration but they do want a fence built to reduce imports, free trade and participating in a global economy. In addition, Liberals want to pass legislation empowering unions. Look what unions did for the Big 3 auto makers.
The glass is always half-empty for Liberals. Instead of creating incentives for people to climb out of the ranks of unskilled or poor they want someone else to prop them up with "private" welfare checks in the form of entitlements and punishing success to aid failure, lack of motivation or laziness.
Liberals don't like free markets as much as they like a free lunch. They believe it's necessary to have an "activist" government for broad-based economic growth. Liberals believe socialism creates equity for the poor and balances the inequities of a free society.
Here is a list of the Democrats proposal to provide aid and comfort the the have-nots at the expense of the haves:
- Raise minimum wage
- Restrain CEO pay
- Strengthen union clout
- Expand earned income tax credits
- Roll back the Bush upper income tax cuts
- Raise taxes on dividends and capital gains
- Increase grants to low income college students
- Cut interest rates on student loans
- Expand public pre-kindergarten programs
- Expand wage-loss insurance
- Revamp unemployment insurance system
- Cover mortgage payments for displaced workers
- Give cash to families whose incomes fall sharply
- Provide universal health insurance
- Allow small businesses to buy insurance from a government sponsored pool
- Provide universal 401(k) with government subsidies
Notice the key words: Government, subsidies, give, grants, low-income, tax, union clout, expand, cut.
If the Liberals get their way socialism will be alive and well in 21st Century America. Karl Marx would be proud.